Paul Henderson and Yasmin Cooper claim overall Junior titles at Delancey British National Alpine Ski Championships 2016

Press Release: 27th March 2016

The final day of the Delancey British National Alpine Ski Championships saw variable conditions, with the sun fighting through the clouds throughout racing.

This morning began with the Men tackling the Slalom course. Skiing in difficult conditions Robert Poth took the National Junior Championship Slalom win with an overall time of 1:34.39. Alex Barounos finished second, with a combined time of 1:35.07 whilst yesterday’s NJC Giant Slalom winner Paul Henderson, finished closely behind, (1:35.10), taking the third spot on the podium.

Poth said:

“I’m very pleased to pick up the win – I didn’t expect it. I wasn’t expecting much from today although it was slalom which I am mostly confident about.

“I won the U18s last year and I’m happy to win junior gold now because I’ve still got another two years in the age group and racing against the older guys is pretty tough.”

The top skier in the U18 category was Fraser Middleton who stormed the Slalom course, with a time of 1:39.37, Lloyd Chapman took second place with a combined time of 1:47.57, and Jack O’Neill finished in third place with 1:49.30.

After the race, Middleton said:

“It feels really good to be U18 champion – I was pretty lucky today because I made a big mistake on the first run and was miles behind Zak [Vinter] who was in the lead. He skied out on the second run whereas I managed to get down with a decent run, so I was pretty lucky to be honest.

“I was definitely happy to put down two runs and people crashing out is part of ski racing, you just have to deal with it. Zak is one of my good friends, so I did feel a bit gutted for him when I saw that happen especially with the lead he had over me. I guess stuff like that happens.

“Iain [Innes] is skiing well and he went out as well but we’ve got a couple more races over the next few weeks, so the battle will continue.”

It was the Ladies’ turn to take to the GS course today, with the sun breaking through the clouds as the race begun. Alice MacAulay finished on top of the podium with a time of 2:19.44, with Nicole Ritchie joining her with an overall time of 2:19.52 and Ella Still placing third finishing with a time of 2:19.71.

MacAulay spoke after her win:

“It feels great to be champion and it’s always nice to finish off the week with a win. I was quite surprised actually – I felt the first run left me wanting more from the second run. I think I went a bit harder on the second run but I really feel like I have more to give when it comes to the GS. I’m happy to have won but I still want more.

“I’m off to Val d’Aran for a few races and then on to Pila, so hopefully I can pick up some results and end the season on a high.”

In the U18 category, BSS team athlete Yasmin Cooper finished first with a time of 2:20.22, with Lucinda Dilworth second (2:23.54), and Phoebe Long third (2:27.42).

Cooper said:

“It feels amazing to get another win. I think I came to these Championships not really expecting much and I’ve really outdone what I thought I would get. I’m absolutely ecstatic with the amount of podiums I have got and the way I have skied as well.

“It was really encouraging to get a couple of junior podiums, not just the U18. I didn’t really expect it, so to see myself rivalling older skiers felt really good.”

Combining yesterday and today’s results, Paul Henderson claimed the Men’s Overall Title of British National Junior Champion with Iain Innes taking the title in the men’s U18 category. After an impressive week for Yasmin Cooper, she took to the podium again to claim the title of Ladies’ British National Junior Champion, in both U21 and U18 category.

The first ever IPCAS British National Championships continued today with the Giant Slalom, running in six classifications.

The Women’s Visually Impaired Giant Slalom saw a tight race with Millie Knight and guide Brett Wild fighting off competition from yesterday’s Slalom winners Menna Fitzpatrick and guide Jennifer Kehoe. Millie and Brett finished in first place with a time of 2:30.52 whilst Menna and Jennifer clocked a time of 2:30.96.

Millie Knight said:

“I can’t believe I am British champion. It was one of the first runs together for me and my guide Brett.

He’s absolutely amazing and it is so good to be with him. As a first run together in GS, I am so happy. The only way is up from here.”

The Men’s race saw John Dickson-Lilley and guide Jack Davey take to the top of the podium again with a time of 2:53.20, whilst Micheal Kear and guide Rufus Alcott finished second with 3:44.87.

Dickson-Lilley said:

“I’m absolutely thrilled to be a double British champion. We’ve had a really good season, we’ve won title in other National Champs but your own National Champs are the ones that matter.

“I think on the second run there were a couple of missed opportunities but overall I think it was a much smoother, much quicker run than the first. The pace was quicker despite the fact that the snow was actually a little bit slower.”

In the Men’s Standing category, James Whitley continued his reign at the top of the podium, winning the race with an impressive combined time of 2:27.70. Matt Short finished second (2:50.28), and Andy Barlow third (3:02.39), the same standing we saw in yesterday’s Slalom.

Following the race, Whitley said:

“It was really nice because I felt the course was very smooth, good flow and the key section that I had to nail to get a good time, I thought I did well on. There was a small mistake on the first run towards the end where I got a bit late but the second run also went quite smoothly.

“It all went to plan so I was happy with today. I’m probably more pleased with today than I was yesterday because I didn’t make a big mistake like I did on the slalom.”

The Lognan piste also played host to the Men’s Sitting category where Benjamin Millard fought off Ben Sneesby to finish as first Brit with a time of 2:43.55, Sneesby was just behind with 2:47.02, finishing second. Enrique Plantey from Argentina finished first overall with a time of 2:34.13.

Millard said:

“Slalom isn’t really my thing, so I was happier with my GS performance today. GS and super-G are a lot more my cup of tea and the snow was better up top, so I preferred today.

“It has been an awesome week in Tignes – coming together with the able-bodied skiers and doing this for the first time is brilliant. Hopefully we’ll will do this again next year and for years to come.”

Ella Still was honoured to win the Kirsteen McGibbon Trophy and Iain Innes won the Craig MacFie Award for their commitment to Alpine skiing this year.

The team from Ambition Racing won the Patterson Trophy for the best combined team results from the Championships.

Full results from today’s races will be posted on the British Ski and Snowboard website: www.teambss.org.uk or can be found here http://data.fis-ski.com/alpine-skiing/results.html

Tomorrow sees the start of the Delancey British National Alpine U16 and U14 Ski Championships. Follow the action on www.teambss.org.uk or @teambss on Twitter.

Principal sponsor Delancey has now supported the British National Alpine Ski Championships for 6 years and Chairman of Delancey’s Advisory Board and British Ski and Snowboard president, Sir John Ritblat, has sponsored the sport for 39 years – the longest standing personal sponsorship for a sport. For more information visit www.delancey.com

Photo credit: Vanessa Fry Photography